Sunday, July 10, 2022

July 10, Rio, the First Dog!

 There always has to be a first one, doesn't there? This is Rio!  He looks like an elegant and intelligent old soul.  

And Mary just sent me a story about him, and he WAS an elegant and intelligent soul, from Costa Rica no less!

Hi Kat,Brad Moore told me you wanted some words about Rio to accompany his painting.. it’s tough to think of just a few… he had a long and storied life… my friends called him the Cary Grant of dogs… he was such a gentle handsome soul.Here are a few things that came to mind about him. If it’s too much, feel free to cut as you see fit:I found Rio starving on a beach in Costa Rica. He was swimming out chasing the shadows of birds and butterflies on the water and body surfing back to shore where he would dig for tiny sand crabs and gobble them up! He followed me home that day and never left. His first winter in Minnesota he shook like a leaf from the cold and I had to buy him a jacket. He visited Spanish classes to show off that he was bilingual with commands…when I wanted him to take notice, I spoke to him in Spanish, his native tongue. He loved pineapples and coconuts, and when I opened them, he did a happy dance, remembering his homeland…he never got used to swimming in cold Minnesota lakes, and he never left my side during my long period of grief after losing my son and his quiet presence saved me then.I miss him every day…Thanks for capturing him with your talent!  Can’t wait to see the painting! I still treasure your painting of my other dog Bimo.Best regards, 
Mary 


Thanks for being a part of this project!

8x8 acrylic on wood
sold


1 comment:

Mimiagogo said...

Thank you Kat! You have captured Rio perfectly! I’m so grateful to Brad and Carolyn for this gift and to you for sharing your talent. I ❤️ 30 days of dogs… and cats!