Saturday, August 26, 2023

August 26, Muffy for Marley

 Well, it's been a week of workshops at school and I've been fighting a cold or something that I think followed us from camp and may have been the result of poor air quality as well- kinda like losing my voice and all, and I tested for Covid three different times with negative results each time, so here I am.

And my students, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th, show up next week.  Like a lot of teachers, I feel prepared and also a bit anxious. One of the awesome things about teaching is that we always start with a totally new year. The people who make up the class are never the same group, and nothing ever goes exactly the same way. In the art room, there are a lot of variables as well, like what materials I have on hand, what I remembered to order, if that order showed up on time, oh just so much!  And I like the renewal ever year, that there's a fresh start, a fresh page. And so much is up to my attitude and how I react to things.

We were supposed to do the Millstream Art Festival in St Joseph MN tomorrow, but I've cancelled because of how not well I've been feeling. I'm relieved that I did. I haven't cancelled an art show before, ever, but I've not felt this stressed about having an event the Sunday before classes commence. I did it last year and it was fun, definitely not a money maker, but fun for sure, and we figured it would be fun to do again. But I'm so glad I've said no.

I do need to learn to do that more often. I'm a terrible YES person!  My friend Lara is really good at a sweet rather evasive way of saying no! She responds so positively at first, like "of course I'd love to!" and then she says "Shoot! I can't fit it in my schedule" or something... I love it.

This is a small painting I did of my friend Marley's dog Muffy. Muffy is a bit elderly and I don't know how she's doing right now... and Marley is starting her first full time teaching job in Duluth! I hope her year goes great!

I hope your school year goes great too!

6x6 acrylic on wood


No comments: