Tuesday, November 27, 2018

11/27 Aran Island Cottage Where Anita Lived, 1975-1979

I spent a character-building semester in Ireland from September of 1987 to January of 1988, living in a cottage in the small town of Spiddal, outside of Galway, and within biking distance of several fishing docks and fishermen who regularly went out to fish around the Aran Islands.  My classmates and I were taken across the bay to the islands and spent two or three days wandering around.  I remember the stone walls and the mules, the thatched roofs and dirt floors. We had some good sunshine while we were there, went and walked all over the islands. There was a very old fortress, Dun Aonghasa, that I remember we were able to walk through.  It is on the edge of a cliff, and there was some suggestion that part of the land had fallen away at some point in the past. I loved it in Ireland! We took my dad in 2013, since he's the one with the Irish roots.
This cottage is where my friend Anita White lived on her Irish adventure, many years ago.  She's working on a graphic novel of her story.  Can't wait to see that either!

8x10 acrylic on wood
$175

No comments: