Saturday, July 29, 2023

July 29, Dog #20 is Yukon~

 Yukon was an amazing soul-  here is Rob, his friend's love letter to him~

Yukon

 

Thank you for being such an awesome dog, better than I could ever deserve.  You shared my joy for playing in snow and cold weather, and Beth’s love of cuddling on the couch or wherever else you managed to pin her against the cushions.  People said we spoiled you, but really it was you who was spoiling us.  How many people get to enjoy a canine companion who doesn’t need a leash simply because he’d rather hang out with his humans?  How many people can count on winning a bet that their dog is the cutest?

 

I basked in the reflected glory of your life whenever we were on campus or getting a puppuccino at the coffee drive-thru.  Students pronounced you as “chill,” their highest praise.  Everybody, even people who live with cats, thought you were awesome.  Friends and family accepted you and your “magic fibers of love and joy” into their homes, pining for more effective vacuum cleaners as we left.

 

Many people in town and on campus know me as “the guy with the dog.”  Remember last May, when we were walking on campus on Commencement Day?  Two graduates, to their parents’ amazement, called out your name even though they hadn’t seen you since before the pandemic.  I was just some anonymous professor, worthy of note only because of my connection to you, the most awesome dog.  A year ago, Beth, Walker, and I were at a restaurant in Saint Paul and our server asked if I taught at WSU and did I still have the awesome dog.  Last November we were at a Christmas event in Loring Park in Minneapolis, and a couple walked up and asked if I was Rob.  They remembered you from camping next to us at Boats and Bluegrass years ago. 

 

Now I am dreading the inevitable onslaught of questions: “Where’s your dog?  How’s Yukon?”

 

I love you dearly and will miss you terribly.  You will always be my bestest puppydog.

 

10x8 acrylic on wood
spoken for


No comments: