Thursday, May 16, 2019

Join Me?

So I used to sit and paint at our house parties, painting on the floor while my friends laughed and talked and drank and smoked... this was a way of being a part of everything while keeping my hands busy so I wouldn't do too much of the other activities, and as a result, I've been pretty comfortable painting in front of people.
Last night, I painted this deer live at Art4Shelter.  I took an Uber to the Machine Shop near St Anthony Main, and hauled my 18x24 black canvas and my painting supplies upstairs to set up. I didn't have much time to look at all the 5x7 paintings already lining the downstairs walls because I was planning on painting from start to end in the three hours of the event. There were three artists there last night, Barret Lee and Jennie Sewell and me, and our work was up for silent auction, and my friend Robin volunteered as Artist Support which was perfect because she kept my hydrated and my wine glass full!
18x24 
acrylic on canvas
sold

And I was able to paint, and chat some, and go back to painting.  It was really fun to get engrossed in the painting and then I'd look up and there'd be some people watching me!  A very positive experience-  I got to see so many people I've been missing~ and I found one of my former St Mark's art students, Isabella!

I would very happily do this again.  It was a great experience.  The Machine Shop is a beautiful open space and everyone was having such a great time! My painting was purchased by a young man who had also managed to snag two of my smaller 5x7 deer paintings.  And Robin, my Artist Support Person, was incredibly supportive and gave me a ride home so I wouldn't have to Uber!
Going for the green in the background to set some of the edges~

Yay for former art students!

Finished painting with almost finished wine...

Another action shot~

No comments: