Thursday, September 19, 2019

9/18 Art Thoughts...

SO... this is actually from yesterday...
I juried a beautiful show yesterday afternoon, at the Ames Center in Burnsville, MN.  I have been asked to act as a juror before, but that time, there were three of us and we looked at all the images on a computer.  This show was for the MN Watercolor Society, and I was honored and excited to be invited. I was also a bit nervous, and wanted to make sure I was taking this situation as seriously as possible, while also keeping myself open for the intuitive call of art. I made a list of what I'd be considering as I perused the work and here it is...
1- What calls to me visually~ Beauty/ Emotional Response
2- Composition/ movement/ flow
3- Color/harmony
4- Technical Skill
5- Presentation

And even as I write my list, I find myself second-guessing myself. I am a person who has worked for most of my life to listen to myself. When I was younger, I found it easier to let other people tell me what I should think, and I've worked darn hard to get to a point where I know my opinion counts, so being asked to act as a juror means I've got to be confident of what I'm saying and presenting. And I also am aware of the overconfidence of bullies, who simply push their opinion onto other people with no remorse, and I do not want to be that.

As it stands, I am sure I've done a good job, and I am as sure that people will find fault with my decisions. So, that's what it means to actually make a decision, isn't it?

And here's a painting~

No comments: