Friday, February 10, 2023

Feb 10, Breaking The Surface

 I've been painting a lot this week, which is great because that's one of the ways I am able to get back into myself. Today we are going to the zoo to see the otters and dolphins, and that's another way to get back to my self care.  I need to walk too, and the zoo is a great place to walk!

I know the issue of zoos is complex and that there are many thoughts about them.I hadn't realized my beloved belugas from my childhood had been roughly stolen from their home in the ocean and brought to Minnesota without much thought about how they might feel about it...

However, I do cherish the opportunity to see these creatures closer than in the wild, and I appreciate that our zoo is more of a research zoo, and that many of the creatures like the wolves and the moose and the eagle are rescued and can't be released into the wild.

Anyway, the otters save me. 

When my dad died suddenly in 2015, I painted otters. Actually, I had my "Otterways and Waterways" show at the Great Lakes Aquarium in 2015 when dad died- he'd helped us get the work there and hang the show, and he was there for the opening that September....

Otters are creatures that live between worlds, water and land, and I think of them as spirit carriers or guides, to help us with transitions in our lives. Always change.


10x30 acrylic on canvas
$600


No comments: