Monday, April 23, 2018

April 23, Shiele Parts

This Saturday I was at a sketching session at the MIA with some other people as part of a fundraiser for Art4Shelter.  I was asked to pick a painting and to sit and sketch it for a couple hours, and I've been entranced by this painting since I was a guard at the Tute in the way early '90s~
It is a portrait of  Portrait of Paris von Gterslohand I've loved looking at those wrinkles and the gestures of the hands, and the intense expression on the young man's face. I'm sure there's all sorts of stories about Shiele, who had his faults, and I've read a biography or two, but I am still just engrossed by his handling of paint.
SO this was the painting we sat in front of, and this is my version, in oil pastel, of the left hand (on the right as you view the painting) and it will be at the MIA for Art4Shelter on May 9th!

8x10 oil pastel on black paper
$90
available ONLY at Art4Shelter!

No comments: