Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Jan 20, Home Feels Better Now

This is a repost of a painting from a year or so ago, of our house in the winter. I watched the inauguration today and it was actually quite lovely. I was able to get part of Joe's speech, and Garth Brooks' singing of Amazing Grace (my close captioning went crazy at that point) and our 22 year old First National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman reciting her poetry. I admit I was in tears for quite a few bits of this- It looked quite chilly. And really, I was struck by the NORMALNESS of it all, that people were dressed up nicely, wearing masks, sitting apart, and they were LISTENING. To all of it. And it felt like a kind of quiet opening up. 

We've been under such stress for such a long long time. And we've been braced for the worst for a long long time. I had a realization walking down the hall that we can BREATHE now.  Four years is a long time. Max was seven years old back then, and he's eleven now. He's changed a lot. So have we all.

So I am posting this simple, south Minneapolis century old plus home that is still standing, is still loved, is still lived in. Because we are all still here, and we will all be here together.

Thank you!

6x9 acrylic on wood
$98

No comments: