Monday, January 18, 2021

Jan 19, Another Old Dog Painting

 Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day!  I made Max watch "Black is King" with me this morning, and parts of it was so beautiful it made me cry. I wouldn't say I'm a Beyonce fan, really, but that woman is amazing! Maybe I'm a fan now! And I'd also say that isn't the kind of music I usually listen to, though thanks to our local public radio, the Current, I'm exposed to it a lot more than I would have been. I also didn't recognize many of the other musicians she had with her, which seems a bit sad on my part. There was also some parts of the piece where I found myself flinching, because in my white experience, to see groups of black and brown people on the streets of a city in a video is usually followed by violence of some sort. Isn't that sad? I've been programed to feel fear when shown versions of life of people of color. That kinda pissed me off. I need to watch more movies with black and brown heroes, and I don't mean superheroes!

Anyway, this is another painting I let the boys burn a couple weeks ago-  and it feels good to let it go! I learned a lot in painting these works but I'm glad to have them gone.

Black dog Body

No comments: