Thursday, March 26, 2020

3/26 Jenna's White Hamster, Graham

Okay so I thought I'd try to keep on the list for this one, and I have to admit I don't like it very much.
It's a white HAMSTER, sent in by Jenna, and I think it will be a give-a-way... maybe Jenna wants it?  The photo was a bit strange, and I think that lends to the weirdness...

Her name was Graham (Short for Graham Cracker) the two hamsters I had before her were Schmallow and Hershey so I of course had to complete the smore trilogy. I went to a pet store to get some supplies for Hershey a few days after I had to euthanize Schmallow  and as I was in the aisle I saw her, a fully grown adult hamster in a five gallon tank. I asked the employees about her and was told she had been there longer than any of the other hamsters and I was told I couldn’t hold her because she had behavioral issues and was terrified of people. When I heard that I knew I couldn’t leave her there so she came home with me that night. It took months for her to warm up to people but she became the most loving hamster I ever had. As she aged she developed severe arthritis that we managed with pain medications and after some x rays we discovered that she also had scoliosis but she never let any of it slow her down. One day she fractured a tooth and it got to the point where we had to sedate her once a week to trim her teeth to a level that allowed her to eat solid food. After a few weeks of that her pain had exceeded the point that we could control, to the point that the only thing we could do was try to remove the tooth. We were three hours into surgery when I watched her take her last breath. I love all of my animals dearly but Graham left her pawprints on my heart in a way I will never forget and I miss her every day. 
6x6 acrylic on wood

YES, this is a GIVE-A-WAY! So comment on Facebook or Instagram and I'll do a drawing!
Wahoo!

and here's the original photo so you can see what I mean...


No comments: