Sunday, November 5, 2017

Nov 5, 105 Year Old Finland Homestead

This one has quite the story attached and I really really love the color of the wood and the grass and sky around it. Thank you April for sending it to me!  And I WILL be taking you up on your offer!

Hello Kat, this is in Alango Mn on the property where my husband's family grew up. His great great grandfather came here from Lapland, Finland. He started building this when he found the land that he would later turn into a homestead for his wife (Wilhelmina) to live in when she arrived with their son Eno, and her parents.
When Adam's parents decided to retire and sell their home this building was in danger of being demo-ed and burned. My husband couldn't stomach the idea so we took those pictures (along with several more) just before he numbered each hand hewed log so he could disassembled it and move it to our lake property north of Cook Mn. He reassembled it over a 2-3 year period. Log by log .
We of course made some modifications and it now our Myrtle Lake Cabin. 
The project was amazing in itself. We learned that things don't aways fit together perfectly but the beauty was in the modifications we made on the fly.
I learned how to chink in between, touching EVERY log! 
If you ever make it up this way..(Kris Musto is my best friend AND neighbor.. I know right!!) you are welcome to come stay. It's cozy. 
Stay well 
April Leinonen


8x10 acrylic on wood
$165 to purchase it NOW,
or bid in the auction starting at $100!
click HERE to start!

And more photos!


Ain't it amazing what a little persistence can do?!

1 comment:

kris said...

Gorgeous, Kat!! I love the little slats of blue sky showing through the roof boards!! :)