Monday, November 13, 2017

Nov 13, "Dad's Spirit"

This is the two year anniversary of my father's sudden death of a "heart event", and this has been a tricky time for me and my family.  So it seemed appropriate to paint one of dad's favorite home-away-from-homes, his last camper, an Itasca Spirit.  This is from our big family trip to Grand Marais' Municipal Campground in July of 2014 for mom and dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary.  It was a great trip, we all had so much fun!  It was also mom's birthday and she and most of the crew went for a kayak tour around the bay.  After seeing everyone off, I stayed at the campsite with dad, my son, my youngest nephew and my older brother.  Dad was very worried about mom going off in the kayak, even though she was in a double with my athletic and fit youngest brother and she spent the whole time taking photos.  He loved her very much, and was so delighted at their return across the bay, he had tears running down his cheeks.
We have many great memories of road trips and "short cuts" with dad~

8x10 acrylic on cradled wood


No comments: