Saturday, October 21, 2017

October 21, Otters Yes and No

Hi! SO I thought I'd show you a little glimpse into my world, because I've had people watch me paint and see how fast I can (sometimes) accomplish a good piece, and I also wanted to show you how hard it can be some times...

This piece is on its third try, and you can see from this photo that I just do not have the proportions correct! The head is too big, the neck not curved enough and the back leg too large in proportion to the tail. Frustrating and tiresome, indeed.  This is why I often just start over, because once the proportions are off, it is easier for me to start a new try than to keep banging away at one that isn't quite right.

Now this one started off with a great proportional sketch and a rapidly painted start, though it then took a few days before I was able to finish it off.  I am so much more pleased with this one than the struggle above!  The eyes are correctly placed, the ear is above the jawline, the nose flattens and flares as it should and the whiskers and bits of blue highlights pop it into a YAY factor!



Otter Whiskers
8x8 acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas, $155 
click HERE to purchase!



No comments: