Tuesday, March 14, 2017

March 14, Kane for Eddie~

Kane looks very patient to me~
I chose a 6x12 panel for this one to make sure and include the flower~ and here's what Eddie, his owner, says about him~
In the fall of 2014 when I moved from Boston to New York City to start an MA. During my first month there, I was surprised by how lonely I could feel in a city of 8.5 million people. To remedy this loneliness, my best friends and I decided that I should adopt a cat. We found Kane at the SPCA on Upper East Side. He was surrendered by his previous human and as I got to know him I was sure the decision to give him up must have been made with great sadness. Though he was officially mine, no one person could own Kane. He brought love and joy to all whom he encountered. Even people who didn’t like cats seemed to have a soft spot for Kane. For almost two years, he was my companion and the reluctant, but patient, star of my social media accounts. This image is a still from a video I recorded of Kane with a paper flower on his head as “Supermodel” by RuPaul plays in the background. In the summer of 2016, Kane and I were getting ready to move to Toronto where I was sure he would keep me company during the long, dark winter. However, Kane wouldn’t make the trip with me. He passed away in June after a short stay in a veterinary hospital. We did everything we could to save him, including borrowing ridiculous sums to money to cover his medical bills, but cancer had spread throughout his little belly. Nothing the doctors could do would give him a healthy, happy life so we had to let him go. I still think of Kane often; not just when I receive my monthly care credit bill. I still find his hair on my sweaters and in my shoes and pockets. I still carry him with me.

6x12 acrylic on cradled panel, SOLD

No comments: