Monday, December 30, 2013

Roadside Trees #7, Sunset on the Way Home

I have to say I love painting trees.

As I've let more than a few clients who commissioned paintings of houses know what I am doing is painting the trees and sky around your house, not necessarily YOUR HOUSE.  I think this love and awareness came from my first purchase of a REAL piece of ART, from an actual gallery.

Back in 2001 I was in Grand Marais at the Sivertson Gallery while taking a workshop at the Art Colony and I absolutely fell in love with a painting.  I couldn't stop looking at it.  The depth of emotion I felt while engaged with it was immense-  I misread the title, understanding it to be "The Love Tree" rather than "The Lone Tree" and that was what caught me.  I related to this tree, blasted, alone, dry, yet with leaves still attached with hope and expectation~  I'd just come through my divorce which left me relieved and vulnerable, sad that lives couldn't be fixed, carefully hopeful that better things would be on the horizon.  I wanted this painting to be a part of my life.  And I wanted the actual painting, the real thing-  a replica just wouldn't be the same.

So I asked about purchasing it and was told I could pay an amount every month and when I'd paid it off I could come pick it up, with no interest!  Wow.  I could OWN this piece!  It was reasonable, even generous on the part of the gallery, and so I bought my first piece.  I saw it in May and paid it off by November.  A friend accompanied me back up North to pick it up, and I've been very happy with it since.  You can see it at the bottom of this post~

As a matter of fact, this initial collection of art brought the realization that it was possible and that art CAN be in MY home....  I am not sure why this hadn't occurred to me before then, maybe somehow I felt I would never be able to afford art from a GALLERY, because that was outside my realm.  I now know MUCH better!  If you love a piece of art, just ask!  Most galleries and artists are very willing to work with someone if they love something.  I've been delighted when people want one of my larger works, and am always very happy to accept payments and sometimes even trades.

And I have been painting again!  Took a few days off last week-   this will be the last auction of the year!
Here is my tree for today~  It's the way looking at trees makes you see the sky that I love-  and that looking close enough to paint means I am really looking closely-  I see the real colors then!  So many possibilities!
6x6 acrylic on panel, click here to BID!

 And here is Faith Lowell's "Love Tree"~

My sisters and mom have also collected Faith's work, and Beaner even arranged for us to meet her at her house a few years ago.    There is something luminous about all her work, and it is the trees that I am the most drawn to~

No comments: